It's hard to believe that summer is coming to a close and the children are heading back to school now. Vaughn is already back in class at UNC...and the girls have their first day of the new year tomorrow. Katie, a Junior, made the Varsity Cheerleading squad...and is one of four captains! And little Maggie begins her high school career tomorrow as an incoming Freshman.
And so as the summer fades and the seasons slowly turn, the vegetable garden looks ever so sad and tired. The summer veggies are done. And the weeds won the battle. But I must not have been too badly whipped as I've decided to try a small fall crop this year. I'll post some photos soon of the new crops (it's way too embarrassing to show any photos of the garden in it's current state!)
I am pleased to see that the flower beds have held up nicely this summer. A fresh new load of mulch is gracing our driveway...waiting for inspiration to strike this sluggish gardener! The beauty berry bush is stunning...and I saw a lovely bird perched ever so elegantly on it's branches. (Too bad I didn't have my camera in-hand to capture that stunning moment.) Another sign that fall is just around the corner as the purple berries come into fullness.
So tomorrow the school bell rings again...the buses will begin to roll...lunches to be made...fresh notebooks and brand new pencils. And I'll add a fresh new dressing of mulch to the beds and prepare the garden for a new season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yeah...and my two girls went back to school today too!
I spent a good part of the morning reflecting on the first day of school of years past, and how that always seems to be some sort of marker, perhaps spiritual, for me as a father, and now a husband.
Time sure is flying fast.
Yes indeedy.
Post a Comment